Puking Pumpkin Volcano Experiment!
This Halloween, let’s make things a bit less spooky, and a bit more pukey. Follow our guide, and you’ve got yourself a pukin’ punkin. Or, for the easily offended, a pumpkin volcano. Which is throwing up. But hey, it’s Fall, it’s almost Halloween, and we’re homeschoolers, so we have to find a way to make this
weird educational. However, since this is a family blog, we’re going with the volcano option. (You will find some affiliate links in this post. If you decide to purchase something, it will not be any extra cost to you and it shows some support to us. Read our full disclosure here.) Ingredients Now, to achieve the proper pumpkin volcano, you will need a few things:
- Baking soda.
- Vinegar. Which is amazingly hard to spell for such a simple word.
- Food coloring. Specifically yellow and green food coloring. To properly make the… lava color.
- A pumpkin. I cannot stress this enough. If you combine your ingredients in nothing, you’ll just have a mess. Instead of a glorious mess.
- A knife.
- One of those flimsy pumpkin saws that you have to re-buy every single year because they’re so flimsy. But you can’t just buy the saw, which is all you really want. You need to overspend on a kit with a book of patterns that you won’t even use because if you actually even try they don’t fit on the pumpkin anyway plus a whole pack of plastic instruments of torture that you can’t figure out how to work. What, am I a pumpkin dentist? Do I need to perform a pumpkin root canal? Can I charge as much as the actual dentist charges? In that case, I will go out and buy like, twenty of those kits right now.
- Umm… there wasn’t much of anything else, but I just really wanted seven bullet points, so… outside? Yeah, outside. Because it’s really messy. So don’t do this if you don’t have an outside, or like a bathtub or something.
First off, you need to carve the pumpkin. If you want a proper vomiting effect from your volcano, you should carve the mouth a little bit bigger, and the eyes and nose a bit smaller. However, you don’t want to make the mouth too big. Then the foam won’t come out of the top, and what kind of volcano doesn’t have lava coming our of the top? One that’s throwing up, that’s what.
Beth is a stay-at-home homeschooling mom and photographer. She spends her days coming up with creative ways to inspire and teach her two oldest kids. Let’s be honest though, a big part of the day is spent chasing after the smallest one. She hopes to spread goodness and magic with her DIYs, recipes, and tips. Follow her on Instagram @PaperAngelsPhotos